Why Should You Create a Will?
A will is a legal document that allows you to state your wishes as to how you want your property distributed. Meeting with a California Wills Attorney will help guide you on the different options available for distributing your assets to your loved ones. When you create a will you have the ability to:
- Select Who You Want to Receive Your Property
- You can specify in your will which relatives and friends receive the property you own.
- Select Who You Want As The Guardian Of Your Children
- A will also allows you to select a guardian for your children in case of your death. A guardian is a person that you select who will take care of your children and their needs until they reach the age of majority.
- Select Who You Want to Manage The Distribution of Your Property
- You can select the person that you trust to distribute the property to your beneficiaries. This person will be responsible for taking the steps necessary to liquidate assets if necessary and close out accounts for distribution to your beneficiaries.
Part of Drafting a Will is putting a plan together that focuses on meeting your goals and takes into consideration the needs of your beneficiaries. A well thought out plan can ensure that your Will distributes property in a way that protects your loved ones and provides for their future needs. One of the most important benefits of drafting a Will is the potential for maintaining family harmony. When your wishes are not spelled out, disputes may arise among family members as to who they believe you wanted your property to be distributed to.
Contact our office today to get started on preparing your Will. We offer a free consultation to discuss your concerns and help you develop an estate plan that works for you. For more information on the benefits of estate planning go to Estate Planning and Power of Attorney.